Rhodes on Cashmere is a beautifully presented aged care village located on the Cashmere Hills overlooking Christchurch, on a site steeped in history. The serviced apartments are located on the site of the former Rhodes Convalescent Home which was built in 1886. With breathtaking views over the city, Canterbury Plains and Southern Alps, this is one of most admired retirement living options in Christchurch.
Independent living or rest home level care
Rhodes on Cashmere offers a retirement lifestyle which is hard to beat. If you want independent living, 24-hour care options, an active, caring community and excellent facilities on your doorstep then look no further! The original building, built in 1886, sadly had to be demolished following the earthquake in 2011. The current facility containing sixteen new apartments was completed in 2001. We are now going through a resource consent process to build new care beds and additional apartments on the vacant land.
As an Arvida village, we take great care to listen and help residents to continue to enjoy the things they love to do. We also offer a one-on-one personal coaching programme that actively empowers residents to take charge of their own health and wellbeing.
Life at Rhodes on Cashmere
Activities are organised by the Village Coordinator and are advertised in the quarterly newsletter and on the notice board outside the library.
- Happy hour in the community centre
- Indoor bowls held every Wednesday followed by afternoon tea.
- The afternoon teas on Wednesdays and Sundays are run by the Friends of Rhodes. Friends and family are welcome.
- Social morning teas on Monday and Friday at 10:30am in the Community Centre
- Movie evenings are every Tuesday and Sunday at 7:00pm in the Community Centre.
- Bridge evening on Thursdays at 7:00pm in the Community Centre
- Tai Chi takes place every Saturday at 9:15am in the level one foyer area.
- We have a brand new luxurious 12-seater minibus. Regular outings for our residents include destinations suggested by residents and the social committee.
Read more about our care
Rhodes on Cashmere Retirement Village units are available under the "Occupation Right Agreement" (ORA). Rhodes on Cashmere is a registered retirement village and is a full member of both the Retirement Villages Association (RVA) and the New Zealand Aged Care Association (NZACA). If you are 65 or over and you need further care, a Government allowance may be available to assist with fees in your Serviced Apartment. Work and Income New Zealand will explain the assistance available and eligibility criteria.
For all enquires on our available units and costings please contact on 03 332 3240
Email us for more information
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What if I want to go on holiday?
This is your home so you have the freedom to come and go as you please. Please inform us if you intend to be away on holiday for a while. We will maintain the grounds while you are away so you can relax and enjoy your holiday.
2. What security is there?
The apartment building main entrance door lock is released from your apartment by pressing 9 on your telephone. At night the Village has automatic sensor lighting.
3. How does the fee structure work?
Naturally, there will be several considerations around cost. We aim to be transparent about all fees involved so please do not hesitate to discuss any queries you have with us.
4. Can my family and friends stay with me?
Yes. This is your home so you can have guests over to visit and stay with you.
5. Can I still apply for Government funded financial assistance?
Yes. If you are over 65 and your ‘support needs assistant’ confirms it, you may be eligible for Government financial assistance. Talk with our clinical manager who will help you to find out about the benefits that you are entitled to.
Other Arvida Villages in Christchurch near Rhodes on Cashmere